A public relations professional does more than writing. This chapter explains how PR professionals need to be able to generate publicity. Below, I have come up with a top 10 list from the chapter.
Top 10 finds about public relations:
- Top 10 lists is a tactic for generating news along with: special events, contests, polls and surveys, stunts, product demonstrations, rallies and protests, personal appearances, and awards.
- Public relations writer is generally referred to as a publicist.
- Publicists must be creative.
- Publicists must be problem solvers.
- Timeliness, prominence, proximity, significance, unusualness, human interest, conflict and newness are the news values needed for a publicist to attract the media gatekeeper’s attention.
- To do research on an organization, one should seek important papers, periodicals, clipping files and other published materials, which is all internal news sources.
- You should become a “media junkie” by utilizing external news sources.
- Be open-minded.
- Brainstorm, brainstorm, brainstorm!
- It’s public relation professionals job to generate publicity.